Gangotri Dham is one of the most popular destinations located in Uttarkashi district in the state of Uttarakhand, India. It is an elevation of 3,100 meters above sea level. Gangotri is the source of the Ganga river. Gangotri Dham is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Ganga. It is the only shrine that is the part of Chota Char Dham yatra and also India Chardham. Gangotri Dham is also a land full of legends and. Uttarakhand makes an incredible religious tourist destination in India. Gangotri Dham is in the Garhwal hills. If you are seeking a trip in Uttarakhand that can greatly fill you with the feeling of divinity, then Gangotri is the right destination to head to.
Gangotri Temple is located in the Garhwal Himalayas, in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. It is also one of the fourth pilgrimage centers in Uttarakhand. First is Yamunotri Dham, Gangotri Dham, Kedarnath Dham, Badrinath Dham. Lakhs of devotees come every year to this holy shrine Gangotri Dham. This holy shrine is absolutely an ideal place to soak in the spirituality and holiness.
The maximum temperature of the Gangotri Dham in May- June will be 15 degree Celsius to 16 degree Celsius.
Gangotri dham temperature in July- August: 17 degrees Celsius.
The Gangotri temperature in September – October: -3 to -10 degrees Celsius.
Endless gorgeous landscapes, breezy cool weather, and lush greenery all around that offer colorful experience in Himalaya. The maximum temperature of the Gangotri Dham in summers will be 16 degree Celsius. The Gangotri Dham is the most important Dham of all the Char Dham Yatra.
Best Time to visit Gangotri Dham
The best time to visit the Gangotri temple in May, June, July, August, September, and October. May- June, September- October is the ideal time for capturing the beautiful view and also avoiding Monsoon season. The weather is wonderful in this month with the fantastic beauty of the Himalaya.
Gangotri temple is set in the lap of Uttarakhand Himalaya. This holy shrine is with lush greenery, fresh aura and also the majestic mountain peaks around. From this place, devotees can also see the beautiful view of the surroundings and also the nearby places.
Best Places to visit near Gangotri Dham
- Harsil: This place is a hidden place in Uttarakhand and also a perfect one for visiting. It is an altitude of 2623 meters above sea level on the banks of Bhagirathi river. The main highlights of this place are the apple orchids, dense forest, chirping birds and salubrious environment.
- Dodi Tal: It is one of the most beautiful treks in Uttarakhand. Dodital is a freshwater lake in Uttarkashi district. Dodi Tal lake is also a home of the rare Himalayan trout, surrounded by the Banderpoonch and Swargarohini peaks. This place is also a birthplace of Lord Ganesha.
- Kedartal Trek: This trek is a perfect trekking destination for adventure lovers . It is an altitude of 15600 feet above sea level and is next to Kedar Bamak glacier. It is at a distance of 7 km from Gangotri.
- Gaumukh Tapovan Trek: It is the most exciting and thrilling Himalayan trekking destinations in Uttarakhand. Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is located at the foothills of the Shivling peak.
This kund is located in Gangotri, 500 meters ahead of the Gangotri temple. It is a revered pilgrimage spot situated near the Gangotri temple.
- Auden’s Col Trek: It is one of the most challenging treks in Garhwal Himalayas in Uttarakhand. It is a high mountain pass at an elevation of 18010 feet above sea level. The trekking trail passes through the meadows, beautiful streams and thick alpine forests.
- Dharali: It is a beautiful hamlet situated at an altitude of 2680 meters above sea level. It is a beautiful hamlet on the banks of river Ganges. Dharali village is famous for its Rajma cultivation and apple orchids.
- Maneri: It is a wonderful tourist destination in Uttarakhand. Maneri is perfect spot for adventure sports. It is one of the unique tourist destinations. It is bless with the mesmerizing beauty and dream destination for trekkers.
- Dayara Bugyal Trek: It is a beautiful high altitude meadow trek. Dayara bugyal is located at a height of 3048 meters above sea level. The main attraction of this place is a small natural lake called Barnala Tal. It is also one of the best places in or around the Yamunotri Dham.
- Bhojbasa: It is a beautiful spot, at an altitude of 3775 meters above sea level. The trek starts from Gangotri, a 14 km trek from Gangotri. Trekkers can also see the mesmerizing view of the Himalayan peaks like Thalay Sagar, Shivling and Bhagirathi.